M.S. Personalized Molecular Medicine ’22, UT Health San Antonio
B.S. Biology ’18, Baylor University
• Raised in Waco, Texas
• Daughter of immigrant parents, Jorge and Sara Castillo
• Waco ISD alumna
• Graduated from McLennan Community College, summa cum laude
• Had the privilege to earn the MAC Scholarship to attend Baylor University – where I was involved with the American Medical Student Association as well as the Hispanic Medical Student Association
• Had the opportunity to give back to my community after graduating from Baylor University, specifically, at Waco ISD where I worked as a Bilingual Newcomer Specialist.
• My interest in medicine and passion for serving others has been a strong motivational push to accomplish my goal of becoming a medical doctor.
What accomplishment are you most proud of?
As an immigrant, the goal of earning a college degree and pursuing the American Dream was automatically instilled in me at a very young age. Therefore, I am most proud of receiving afull ride scholarship to Baylor University where I earned my Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. I am proud to know that the values and standards placed upon me by my parents have come to fruition.
My family’s support and constant encouragement continue to be critical in my educational career. Being a Latina in rooms that were not created for you to succeed can be challenging, nevertheless, I continued to pursue my dreams despite the obstacles that Latinx students encounter. I was recently accepted into UT Health’s Personalized Molecular Medicine program, and as a Latina immigrant I hope to be an example for all the latinx students who are in the pursuit of a science or a medical career. I hope to become a medical doctor who advocates and provides quality healthcare to women of color.
As you succeed, do not forget to be proud of who you are or where you come from because as a latinx you represent a legacy of resilience, bravery, and strength. There will always be obstacles and challenges but with effort and dedication everything is possible. It doesn’t matter how long it takes or what the circumstances are, be 100% confident in your abilities to achieve whatever you set out to do. Never give up—Si se puede!